Thursday 23 February 2012

SO WHAT IF YOU ARE A GROWN UP?.......CARTOONS ARE FOREVER!!!!!



A couple of weeks ago, I was at my friends dinner party...the usual, boring fare with women in colors that give competition to a peacock! Gah! It was in one word, boooooooooooring! Anyway, with a plate of  paneer tikka in my hand I made my way to the kids room, amazingly enough there were hardly any children there but a couple of teens sipping coke, looking bored stiff and watching TV...It was not my day! I entered the room with a sigh; smiling at them...they exchanged that look which said, "Geez! Another college kid!” talk about respect. I realized they were not really 'watching' TV, so I picked the remote and switched the channel to cartoon network...the reaction that followed was epic!
"Um, excuse me, but what on earth are you watching?" one of the anorexic beauties asked me in a drawl voice.
"Err...cartoon network...why… don’t you like it?" I replied in my most polite tone.
"Really? Like how old are you? And you still watch this retarded junk? You SO need to get a life! And she promptly switched it back to 'gossip girl' with a firm nod.

 I was gob smacked by what she said! This teeny bopper is belittling something I bet she was addicted to no less than 2 years ago!!!! How old was she… 14? God! But it is not just her; almost everyone thinks that after the age of 12 or something, if you watch cartoons, you are a joke! Why?

I grew up watching cartoon network; it was my lifeline to fun! I loved it so much that till date I find myself humming “Flintstones meet the Flintstones….” Just can’t get over it! As soon I would get back from school and finish my chores and homework, I would be glued to the screen.  Flintstones, Jetsons, Dexter, power puff girls, Johnny quest, you name it…all were my favorites, I just could not get enough of it! And contrary to the bull that people keep spreading, it DID NOT rot my brain in any way…rather it got me more enthusiastic about reading, it helped me imagine more , it also spiked my rate of daydreaming!!!

It is kind of sad that kids these days are not so much into cartoons and more about their psp’s and counter strike  and other junk, and I can see how it has affected the god of cartons, cartoon network! All you can see right now is the Anime rule…from Ben 10 to Bay Blade and whatever crap they show now! The children are missing out on the real stuff…Adam’s family, Looney tunes, yogi bear, Johnny Bravo and so many other fantastic cartoons! Thank god at least some of them know Tom and Jerry…although I am not quite sure they know who is tom and who is Jerry!! :D

We have to get rid of this idea that grown-ups and cartoons don’t go together, so what if the kids are out of it…their loss…We are the glorious generation of the famous Scooby Dooby dooooooooo, and the Yaba Daba doooooo….and nothing can beat that!!!







peace!!


No comments:

Post a Comment