Wednesday 25 January 2012

Are "Real" Friends Utopian Already?????


"Sometimes its not easy to be good." 
I came to know of a very disturbing thing recently dear readers,.......some people think that true friends don't exist anymore. When someone would say, "what has become of this world?" I would scoff at them.But now...those words are swilling in my mouth!

All my life, wherever I have been posted so far, I have made friends...good friends..just friends....on and off friends...and they have been the Woodstock to my happiness, my reason to look forward to each new day. Even now, I have so many friends in college and I feel happy and sated in their midst!! But when I look around, I see a mockery of friendship....there are rare bonds where friends are true to each other, and that is just....sad.

A true friend is someone who is your twin soul, who does not need to ask you if you need help. They are the ones who will think that you are their evrything, and they will follow you to the ends of the world! You can stay without talking them for days, but when you speak to them, you don't feel the time gap! A true friend! Many of you think that all the aforementioned qualities are 'ideal'........really? are they? But wait a minute....have you ever been such a friend to anyone? Then how can you call them ideal when you have not even tried to be someone like that???

You may laugh at me, call me a liar, or say I am bullshitting.....but I have such a person in my life. Call me lucky, blessed..whatever...but I do. and I realized that as soon as I got separated from her. I met Nivi in the 8th grade and got transferred right in the next year. We became fast friends. But after I left and when we wrote to each other, we realized that we were more than mere friends.......it was pure sisterly love....a relation where we were so close that even though we were apart, it did not matter. It is then I realized that what a friend I have...she made me believe what I am trying to tell you people.

Till date we have not fought, not argued, never lied and I believe have never even had the slightest trace of jealously, anger or anything of that sort. There never was the need to. She has the power to calm me when I feel I will explode, to console me when there is no one for me, to simply make me a better person. It has been 9 years and we re stronger than ever.

Still cant believe me??? WHY???? why? why? why??????? What has happened to you? Did a bad experience with a friend shatter you belief? come on!! If that was the case I should have jumped off a cliff by now!

I have been hurt by some real close friends, been left helpless and defenseless when I needed them.....ridiculed by them....you think I was made of rock? I cried to sleep thinking about that! But instead of making me a bitter person, it brought out the best in me. It made me swear that never, ever in my life will I ever do that to a friend....because no friend deserves that.

It is not a contract where you have certain expectations from each other. it is how much you can give....how much can you do for them...how much can you be there for them...how much can you fight for them. Have you evr fought for a friend? It is the toughest thing to do. It is all about you, and what you can do for them.

Now you might argue with me that it is plain human to have doubts or at times lie or feel jealous about a friend. listen to yourself....why would you feel all that in the first place if that person is your twin soul?? And even if you do feel like that...it is okay...as long as you come back to him/her at the end of the day......not keep that niggling feeling buried down in your heart. Forgiving, forgetting and moving on are the cardinal rules in friendship.

But what many people have argued with me is about when a friend gives us grief...when they hurt us...what are we to do...stand by them even then???? People, let them go.....I have done that...and trust me, it hurts like hell, because watching someone who was a part of your life suddenly not wanting to be with you anymore....is painful. But it is the best thing you can do for them. It does not have to turn ugly. 

Look, you may call me a fool for my beliefs....thinking that they cannot happen in real life......but all I have to say is,.....as you sow. so you shall reap! It is not possible that you are the best Friend to someone and they treat you like scum...because goodness is a rare thing, and is recognized when seen.

So believe....believe in the power of  a true friend....it is okay if you don't have one, but that should not stop you from being someone's.

peace!!

2 comments:

  1. I second your thoughts! Very strongly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I wish I could be with you always..... This ten years of seperation has been way too much..... Not anymore :(

    ReplyDelete