Monday 23 January 2012

Whoever said Indian women are a gentle, meek species.......what were you thinking???

Before I write anything, I want my readers to know that right now I have a crushed toe, an almost broken rib and arms that might just fall of my sockets. No no, a herd of elephants didn't run over me, ha! I wish they had, all I did was travel in a crowded ladies compartment on my way to college. Please lift your jaws from the floor.

I believe my readers are familiar with the Mumbai local trains. As innocuous as they might sound, they are the most lethal and dangerous places to be. Can't believe me? I know, I mean what can possibly happen in a train where you travel for an hour max? right? Lemme tell you, my sweet, innocent and naive little bunny tails.

People get cut, pushed of the train, verbally abused and in some cases we have hair pulled out. And the most fantastic part is that, most of this happens in the ladies compartment. Amazing right? Lemme tell you what happens when a train stops at a stop. Women don't just climb in, oh no! They charge in with every ounce of pent up strength and anger they have from their frustrated mornings. You don't hear the gentle chitter chatter of dulcet tones, but high decibel screeches of, "jyam aila! halkat!"..... "move you bitch! MOVE!".............."areeee aage jao naaaa..........." I truly am blessed to hear such beautiful words as I start my day.


And it does not end here, elbows and knees come immediately into action. All to move a just a fraction. and some of us who get plastered against the railings have all our delicate parts assaulted by our dear ladies. And you cant even say anything, half the wind is knocked out of you and you are squashed into a sandwich, then even 'big' girls like me have to think twice before opening out mouths. It sure is a wonder to see the female brain devising various plans trying to get a seat or just to lean on a railing. 

A few moths ago, around 9:30 am, on my way to college in the usual overcrowded state I felt something sharp on my knees(i was wearing a skirt), but I did not bother since getting kicked in the shins is considered pretty normal in a train. When I reached class my friends eyes fell out as she saw my knees. they were covered in blood, apparently they got slashed when some woman must have tried to force her handbag(I hate those things! One of these days I am gonna write about those horrid contraptions) as she tried to get in and my knees must have made contact with some metal crap design!! It was horrible!

At times you cant even get out on your stop, the force of the people who enter is overwhelming and then again, when you do get of, you have to risk your life and try to jump of before the train stops...or else you will die anyway in the mulling multitude of crazy women waiting to pounce into the coach. But I prefer falling on cement than being clawed, any day. 

Whereas in the men's compartment, the crowd is swollen double, but they never throw a man out with such vehemence, in fact they try to accommodate as many as they can, and if they feel it is getting over crowded and there will the genuine danger to the guy, very politely they tell him not to get in, and that is exactly what he does! Unlike women, who will find a quarter of an inch to stick their dainty feet and then ram their knee up some poor unfortunate soul's ass as they try to push and dig as if trying to go all the way to china!! An accidental nudge turns into the cause for an argument! You feel so helpless!

It has been 6 months since I have been traveling, and I have got to say, it makes you tough. Suddenly you don't feel pain anymore, large number of people don't matter and you also become extremely thick skinned, i.e, any number of abuses hurled at you makes absolutely no difference!!

I know, the way I am making it sound is like I go to war everyday, but this is what happens. Then again, its an experience, but I have also met women who are so sweet that they take one look at your haggard and worn face and give you their precious seat. You almost cry in rare moments like that.

My respect for women has increased by ten folds, and so should yours...if you value your life! Don't let that sabji basket and demure saree fool you!!


peace!





3 comments:

  1. Super like manina!! Totally felt ur pain.. I really enjoyed reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its da painful and da ugly truth!!!! but thanx newaz.......!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Train travels. Such a huge difference after moving to Dubai!

    ReplyDelete